Friday, February 5, 2010

My Favorite Books - For Babies Who Drool



Tot #2 has many wonderful, charming, down right adorable qualities, but his ability to drool is not one of them.  From the first few months we knew he was a drooler.  The pediatrician warned us that it might not let up until he is close to two.  Drool.  Yuck.

Not only is drool messy and gross, it can really take a toll on your board book collection.  The finish on board book pages seems to come in three varieties: matte (not shiny at all), semi-glossy, and glossy.  If you have a child who drools go for the glossy ones.

The good news is that there are some great board books for the 0-2yr set that have glossy pages.  Here are my favorites:

My First Farm: Let's Get Working! (My First Board Books)My First Farm: Let's Get Working! (My First Board Books) a great slightly over-sized tab board book.  This series also includes My First WordsMy First Numbers: Let's Get Counting, and Let's Get Moving (machines, etc.).








My First Learning Library (My 1st Board Books)
My First Learning Library (My 1st Board Books) is a set of three mini board books (ABC, Numbers, First Words) from the DK My First Board Book series. this whole series is quite good and completely drool proof.







 
My Little Animal Book [MY LITTLE ANIMAL BK-BOARD]My Little Animal Book and My Little Word Book are both great medium-large board books with lots of pages.  These two have been hours of fun at our house for both kids.







3 in 1: My Big Animal,World,DinosaurThe My Big Book series are also drool proof and feature glossy oversized board book pages. There are lots of titles to choose from: 3 in 1: My Big Animal,World,DinosaurMy Big Dinosaur BookMy Big Rescue BookMy Big Truck BookMy Big Train Book, etc.






Boynton's Greatest Hits: Volume 1 (Boynton, Sandra. Boynton Board Books.)All of Sandra Boynton's books feature high-gloss drool-proof pages.  our favorites are: Boynton's Greatest Hits: Volume 1 (red hat blue hat, A to Z, Doggies, Moo Baa La La La), Boynton's Greatest Hits: Volume II (The Going to Bed Book, Horns to Toes, Opposites, But Not the Hippopotamus), Pajama Time!, Barnyard Dance!, Your Personal Penguin, and Hippos Go Berserk!. There is also a great vinyl "bath book" called Barnyard Bath which is short and different enough from Barnyard Dance to be worth having as well.






There's a Wocket in My Pocket! (Dr. Seuss's Book of Ridiculous Rhymes)
The Dr. Seuss board book series also feature drool resistant versions of some of your favorite Seuss, including: There's a Wocket in My Pocket!Oh, the Thinks You Can Think!Dr. Seuss's ABCThe Foot BookMr. Brown Can Moo, Can YouHop on Pop,  Fox in SocksTen Apples Up on Top! and others.  Its worth noting that these are not identical to the classics.  They are adapted to fit a smaller, shorter format.  Not better or worse, just different.








That's Not My Penguin (Touchy-Feely Board Books)The "That's Not My ___" series by Usborne are also generally drool resistant.   There is just about every "That's not my___" that you can imagine: Penguin,  DinosaurMonkeyMonsterDragonTrainBunnyCarPuppy and everything in between.


Owl Babies










Owl Babies is one of my favorite older toddler books.  It is a very sweet story about three little owlets who are waiting for their mother to come (of course she does!).  Very sweet, but lots of words so better for an older tot.












Chunky Book Tray (Chunky 9 Pack)The 9 mini board books in Roger Priddy's Chunky Book Tray are perfect sized and priced for the stroller, airplane, etc.  The are each about 3" square with 6 extra-thick board book pages each.

No comments:

Post a Comment